Learning how to handle Florida’s unique climate can be tricky, even for native Floridians.
Often times the weather can be unpredictable like strong afternoon storms with high winds and torrential rains to triple-digit temperatures and unbearable, direct sunlight. For those that love being outside and taking advantage of a lot of the nice weather that Florida does offer, being able to modify your backyard space depending on the weather can be a huge asset to your home.
One of the best ways to maximize the potential of your outdoor space is by installing an awning. Whether you have a pre-existing covered patio or not, adding an awning to your home can dramatically increase your useable patio area during times of scorching sun and can be safely out of the way of any inclement weather. Here are a few reasons why an awning is a great idea and a brief rundown of how to install an awning on a house.
Reasons Your Florida Home Needs an Awning:
- When that summer sun starts beating down all afternoon but you plan to host a little get together or even just grill out on your patio, your space is often limited by a narrow covering if you are lucky. However, by installing an awning, you instantly add a tremendous amount of entertainment space.
- While it’s probably not your first thought but when you increase the amount of livable space in your home, that in turn will increase the value of your home. Any increase in your home’s value is a good thing, so think of it as almost a remodel or an addition to your home.
- Installing a retractable awning is the way to go. This gives you a great opportunity to not only control the amount of covered patio space but to also bring it back in when it starts to rain and storm to protect it.
- Who doesn’t like cheaper bills? It’s been shown that homes with awnings pay just over 20% less on their AC bills. During the summer, an awning will reduce the amount of direct sunlight that would inevitably bring some heat in your home. And when you get a retractable one, during the winter, you can keep it in to allow more direct sunlight inside to help increase the heat.
SCHEDULE A COMPLIMENTARY CONSULTATION
Here’s a brief overview of the steps on how to install an awning:
Measurements – this is perhaps the most important step in the entire process of installation. Deciding on the right size to fit your home’s needs is very important, not only from a practical standpoint but also an aesthetic perspective as well.
- Every awning has a minimum mounting height that should be taken into consideration
- Awning shade and color must be picked
- Measuring the center of the door or wall space and the center of the awning are crucial to making sure that they line up perfectly.
- Tape measure
- Drill w/ proper bits
- Sockets and wrench
- Caulking gun
- Mounting hardware
- Measure up to the bottom line of the awning (where the end of the shade will be) to make sure that the door will not be hindered from opening
- Each awning will either pre-formed mounting bar or mounting tabs
- Mount either bar or tabs and ensure they are level and at the proper height and location
- Caulk the edges to prevent moisture from getting in
- Next, you are ready to install the hardware necessary to hold and operate the awning
- Once installed properly, the only thing left should be to finish leveling the awning using the adjustment screws on the housing
At Next Design, we proudly serve all of Southeastern Florida’s window treatment, shades, and upholstery. We understand that each project is unique because your needs are special. From upscale hotels and condominiums to family homes, we pride ourselves on providing unmatched customer service. To learn more about why you won’t be disappointed with choosing Next Design for all your needs, visit https://nextdesign.us/#Why-us.